Ministry of Environment was established in 2003 under the Environment Protection Act.
Powers of the Ministry under the law of the environment:
• Ministry is the competent authority to protect the environment in the Kingdom and the official authorities and the civil implementation of the legislation, instructions and decisions issued by them.
• Ministry is the competent authority at national, regional and international levels with regard to all environmental issues, donors, and in cooperation and coordination with relevant agencies.
Functions of the Ministry of the Environment through the Environmental Protection Act:
1. Policy development to protect the environment and the preparation of plans, programs and projects necessary to achieve sustainable development.
2. Preparation of specifications and standards for the elements of the environment.
3. Monitor and measure the elements of the environment and components and pursued through scientific centers adopted by the Ministry according to specific criteria.
4. Environmental issue instructions necessary to protect the environment, including the conditions for establishing agricultural projects and development, commercial, industrial, housing, mining, and other related services and licensing of development projects according to environmental conditions.
5. Monitoring and supervision of institutions and public and private entities including companies and projects to verify compliance with the environmental standard specifications, standards and technical regulations adopted
6. Conduct research and studies relating to the environment and its protection.
7. Lay the foundations for handling harmful substances and hazardous to the environment, collection, classification, storage, transportation, destruction and disposal, according to a regulation issued for this purpose
8. Coordinate national efforts to protect the environment including the development of a national strategy for awareness, education and environmental communication, transport, use and provision of environmental information and take necessary action to this end
9. Preparation of environmental emergency plans.
10. Publications relating to the environment.
11. Strengthen relations between the Kingdom and the States, bodies and organizations of Arab, regional and international affairs relating to the conservation of the environment and the recommendation to join them and follow up work.